Friday, September 16, 2011

Vocabulary on: Listen or Hear?

For many people learning English, listen and hear are possibly the two most confusing verbs! When can you use listen or hear? In this post I will explain the difference between the two verbs, and when you can use them. 


Take a look at these sentences:

  • I was listening to the radio when I heard the phone ring.
  • I’m listening but I can’t hear you!
  • Shhh! Listen! Did you hear that? I think I heard a noise.



Can you see the difference?


~




  • Can you hear me? [Is my voice loud enough? Can you hear me making a sound/a noise?]
  • I heard a noise outside.
  • My grandmother is getting old. She can’t hear very well.
  • What did you say? I can’t hear you. You’ll have to speak up.


*Hear is NOT used in a continuous tense. Instead, use can hear:
  • can hear you! [NOT I am hearing you.]
  • couldn’t hear you! [NOT I am not hearing you.]


~

  • Are you listening to me? [Are you paying attention to what I am saying? Are you paying attention to me?]
  • Listen! = Pay attention!
  • We listened carefully to the president’s speech.
  • My lawyer did all the talking – I just sat and listened.


*Remember: when listen has an object, use to - you listen TO someone or something:
  • I like listening TO music!
  • I’m listening TO you! [NOT I listen you]
  • Listen TO me! [NOT Listen me!]
  • Do you like to listen to music? [NOT Do you like listen music?]


~



1) Hear can also be used to talk about the result of listening - when you want to talk about something you experienced or listened to:
  • hear what you’re saying but I don’t agree with you. [I’ve just finished listening to you]
  • heard a great song on the radio this morning. [I was listening to the radio this morning]
  • heard the choir sing at Roy Thompson Hall last year. [Last year I went to Roy Thompson Hall and I listened to the choir sing.]
  • You haven’t heard a word I’ve said!

2) to hear from someone
  • Have you heard from Jeff? He said he’d call today.
  • “Hi, Mary! It’s nice to hear from you! We haven’t talked in such a long time.”
  • I got a card from Jen today. It was nice to hear from her.

3) Hear can also be used to express that you have been told or learned (of) something, like news. 
  • I’ll let you know if I hear anything.
  • Did you hear the news yesterday? Ken was in a car accident.

*When talking about news that you have heard, read, or seen on TV, you can usehear with a that clause [ hear in the present tense]:
  • hear (that) you’re expecting a baby.
  • hear (that) you’ve bought a new house.
  • I hear (that) John was fired yesterday.