Friday, September 16, 2011

Grammar - 2nd (Second) Conditional


If I were my parents, I would ask for a discount on the cost of the renovations!


This is the 2nd conditional sentence structure. It is also called the present unreal conditional or hypothetical conditional. This sentence structure is used toimagine a different present reality, or a situation that is unlikely in the present. It can also be used to express a wish that the present was different, or to describe something unlikely or impossible.


~


The 2nd conditional form:

If + simple past, would + verb


*When using the verb be in the if clausewere is used for everyone; it is not wrong to use was, it is just more informal.

*Subject + would is often contracted in spoken English: I’d, You’d, She’d, He’d, We’d, They’d.


Example Sentences:

If my grandmother were alive today, she would be 107!
(Is my grandmother alive? No. I am just imagining how old she’d be IF she were alive!)

If I were president, I would cut taxes.
(Am I the president? No. Can I cut taxes? No. I am imagining what I would do IF I were the president!)

If I lived near a train station, I wouldn’t need a car. It would be so much cheaper!
(Do I live near a train station? No. Do I need a car? Yes. It's very expensive. I would save money if lived near a train station.)

If I lived in Canada, I would speak English fluently.
(Do I live in Canada? No. Can I speak English fluently? No. Things would be different if I lived in Canada!)

Children would be healthier if they exercised more and didn’t spend so much time playing videos games!

He would have more time to spend with his kids if he didn’t work so much!

She wouldn’t be fat if she didn’t eat so much!

Peter would be healthier if he didn’t smoke.

If I had an extra sandwich, I would give you one! Unfortunately, I don’t.

If I lived in a big city, like London, I would go every night!

He wouldn’t know what to do with himself if he retired early.


~


This structure is often used to give advice:

If I were you...

If you were me, what would you do? [asking for advice]

If I were you, I wouldn’t drive the car until a mechanic checked it out.

If I were you, I wouldn’t tell anybody about this.


~


A continuous tense can be used in the if clause...

If I were working now, I’d have more money.

If you were looking for a cheap computer, where would you shop?

If you were walking down the street at night and you saw him, you would be scared!


...and in the result clause!

If I had a better job, I wouldn’t be living with my parents.

We wouldn’t be doing this if we didn’t care about you!

If I didn’t work a German company, I wouldn’t be learning German.


~


Could (=ability) can be used in the if clause (= ‘were able to’)...

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I’d tell myself not to worry so much about what other people think.

It would be great if you could help us paint the house this weekend! 
(= a polite way to ask for help)

I would if I could but I can’t!

If I could make the pain go away, I would do whatever it took.

If I could read her mind, I would know exactly what to buy her for Christmas!



...or in the result clause (= ‘would be able to’)!

If I had a map, I could easily find their house.

If we had more money, we could renovate the entire house.

If I had my own house, I could have as many pets as I wanted!


~


Might can be used in the result clause (= unlikely but possible)

If I learned how to swim, I might compete in a triathlon.

If I won the lottery, I might donate some of it to charity.

If you attended more meetings at work, you might know what’s going on!


~


A funny use of the 2nd conditional:

I’ve lost my shoe! I can’t find it anywhere. If I were a shoe, where would I be?
(I can find my shoe. I am trying to think of all the places where my shoe could be!)