Friday, September 16, 2011

Grammar: Would = Used to

In English, the modal verb would can also be used to talk about things that happened regularly or things you did regularly in the past. Specifically, would is used to talk about repeated activities, habits or events in the past.

You can use would the same way you use used to EXCEPT would is NOT used to talk about past states (past truths):

used to smoke, but I quit last year.
X would smoke, but I quit last year.

She used to have a cat.
X would have a cat.

He used to have long hair.
X He would have long hair.


*Don’t worry if you can't understand the subtle difference between used to andwould right now! This is an advanced grammar point and it usually takes English learners awhile and a lot of practice to understand when to use would this way.


Example sentences:

When I was young, I would lock myself in my room and play the guitar for hours.
When I was young, I used to lock myself in my room and play the guitar for hours.

He would go out to bars and drink every weekend when he was in university.
He used to go out to bars and drink every weekend when he was in university.

Before we went to bed on Christmas Eve, my sister and I would put out cookies and milk for Santa!
Before we went to bed on Christmas Eve, my sister and I used to put out cookies and milk for Santa!

Whenever she was sad as a teenager, she would listen to depressing music.
Whenever she was sad as a teenager, she used to listen to depressing music.

Every fall, just after school started, my family would go to the apple farm and pick apples right off the trees!
Every fall, just after school started, my family used to go to the apple farm and pick apples right off the trees!