Friday, September 16, 2011

Grammar - Gerunds and Infinitives for Purpose

This is a hair dryer:



A hair dryer is for drying hair.
I use a hair dryer to dry my hair.



~


Let’s review a basic English grammar rule:



*To + verb is called the infinitive. A gerund is a verb that acts like a noun. An –ing is added to the end of the verb to form a gerund. Most of the time, a gerund can be used as a noun in for + noun:

Thank you for coming to my party!
Thank you for the gift!

She has a reputation for getting things done!
The hotel has a reputation for poor quality service.

She is famous for singing the national anthem at the hockey game.
She is famous for her beautiful voice.



~


Let’s focus now on using gerunds and infinitives to talk about someone’s / something’s purpose.


* When you describe the purpose of a thing, you can use for + noun, and the nounCAN be a gerund. You can use for + gerund (verb-ing):

What is a hair dryer for?
A hair dryer is for drying hair.

What is this program for?
This is a computer program for editing videos.


* When you talk about someone’s purpose, you can still use for + noun, BUT youCANNOT use for + gerund:
What do you use a hair dryer for?I use a hair dryer to dry my hair.

Why did you go to the store?
I went to the store to buy some milk.


You can still use for + noun to talk about someone’s purpose, but the noun CANNOT be a gerund:

Why did you buy a box of chocolates?
I bought a box of chocolates for my husband.
I bought a box of chocolates to give my husband
NOT: I bought a box of chocolates for give my husband.
NOT: I bought a box of chocolates for giving my husband.

Why are you going to Toronto?
I’m going to Toronto to learn English
NOT: I’m going to Toronto for learn English.
NOT: I’m going to Toronto for learning English.
What is this key for?This key is for opening the front door.
I use this key to open the front door.


Again, this is just a small part of how to use gerunds and infinitives in English. Remember, you cannot use for + gerund to talk about someone’s purpose. I know you probably have a lot of questions about using gerunds and infinitives in different situations, and I hope to address them in the future!